Indian Recipe – Chanar Daln
It’s an authentic Bengali dish. It’s a very simple recipe without onion and garlic. Try this with plain rice. The main ingredients of this dish is chena and Potato.
Preparation Time: 15 mints.
Cooking Time: 20 mints.
Ingredients of Chanar Daln
- Milk for cottage cheese : 1 litre
- Milk for gravy or cream : 1 cup
- Curd : 250 gms
- Cornflour : 4 tea sp.
- Raisins : 20 pcs
- Cashew : 5 pcs.
- Tomato medium size : 1no.
- Cinnamon stick : 1″
- Cardamom green : 2 pcs.
- Bay leaf (Tej patta) : 1 small pcs, mid vein removed
- Red chilli powder : 1 tea sp
- Turmeric powder : 1 tea sp.
- Dry ginger powder : 1 tea sp. Alternatively – ginger about 1/2″
- Sugar : 1/2 tea sp
- Cumin (Jeera) powder or seeds : 1 tea sp.
- Ghee (clarified butter) of cow’s milk : 1 tea sp for garnishing
- Refined oil : 2 tea spoon for gravy
- Refined oil enough quantity to deep fry paneer balls
- Salt to taste
Process of Chanar Daln
Mix the all-purpose flour with the chena with some salt, sugar and a pinch of turmeric.
Now make some small flat balls with the mixture.
Fry the balls till it golden brown and keep it aside.
Now fry the potato pieces and keep it aside.
Add the all spice powder into the ginger paste with some water.
Now put some oil in a vessel and add the cumin seeds and all whole garama masala, next add the tomato puree and ginger and masala paste with some salt and sugar.
Cook for few mints, now adds the tomato ketchup and the fried potato, cook till the oil separate.
Now add some water and the fired chena balls and cook with a lid till the potato boil properly and the gravy become little thick.
Remove the lid and add the ghee.
Tips of Chanar Daln
- When freshly prepared cottage cheese is wrapped in cloth and kept over stariner, bottom of strainer should not touch bottom of bowl. For this a small bowl inside the big one can be kept as a stand.
- Paneer bought from the market can’t render required taste.
- Salt and chilli powder shall be added to taste.
- Donot boil gravy after koftas are soaked , then balls will disintegrate
- Freshly prepared koftas donot taste good as gravy won’t enter inside. So. it’s better to prepare atleast 2-3 hours before serving. While serving warm it.