MCIT Library Consortium
The MCIT Library Consortium is a brilliant initiative by the Ministry of Communications and Information Technology to create a Digital/Electronic library with a mission of resource sharing and networking within the libraries. It also intends to provide electronic services to the users of the libraries thereby creating a model for Government of India libraries networking.
The MCIT Library Consortium comprises of three divisions namely-Department of Information Technology (DIT); Department of Telecommunication (DOT) and ; Department of Post (DOP).Each of these wings again have autonomous bodies and organizations under it all armed with their individual libraries. All these clubbed together form the MCIT library consortium.
- The broad sections of MCIT Library Consortium:
- Digital Library: This section of Digital Library is the most significant and comprises of ICT Resources available with Ministry of Communications & Information Technology.
- e-Journals Subscription: Common and important e-Journals are available at Consortium price.
- News Paper Clippings Service: e-News Clipping service is provided online from the national dailies published in India. There is specialized software named as NewsNIC developed by NIC for this.
- Union Catalog: This section constitutes of a Union catalog of complete library collection from the ministry using e-Granthalaya software developed by the NIC. This union catalog is accessible online.
- E-Granthalaya : This is a Digital Agenda for Library Automation and Networking, a software developed by the NIC to enable other libraries to automate their functions.
- Constituent Members of MCIT Library Consortium:
- Department of Information Technology
- National Informatics Center (NIC)
- Center for Development of Advance Computing
- Standardization Testing Quality Certification
- Software Technology Park of India
- Society for Applied Microwave Electronic Engineering and Research
- Center for Material for Electronics Technology
- Advanced Level Telecom Training Center
- Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd
- Membership at MCIT Library Consortium:The MCIT Library Consortium lends its valued membership only to organizations or similar libraries but not to individuals. In order to benefit from their services the guidelines for become a member are as follows:
- MOU is to be signed by the organization willing to join.
- Signed copy of MOU must be sent to Consortium.
- Send the IP Addresses of the machine(s) along with Contact person of the organization for accessing the e-journals / Digital Library Packages.
- Select the e-journals/Digital Information Services for subscribing for your organization.
Shri P.K. Upadhyay
Member Convener, MCIT Library Consortium
National Informatics Centre
A Block CGO complex,Lodhi road, New Delhi