Mountaineering in India
The Sport of walking, hiking, trekking and climbing up mountains is known as Mountaineering. Also known as Alpinisim it has branched out into specializations like rock craft, snow craft and skiing.Fitness of body and mind along with good athletic and technical ability is required to conquer this sport.
The world’s highest mountain (above mean sea level), Mount Everest (8,848 m) was first climbed on May 29, 1953 by Sir Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay from the south side in Nepal.
The Mountaineering Pack and the Hazards
Snow : Rough, hard snow with spikes is one of the major dangers which one encounters. For such hard non – crushed snow, Crampons 10-12 point spikes which are attached to the mountain boots are used on the hard snow.
Ice : Ice can be dangerous in the sense if one slips, then there is no stoppage. But then there are methods to stop the Snow. Pickets or screws can be used if the terrain is slippery. Each climber on the team must clippast the anchorand the last climber picks up the picket. This is known as Simul – Climbing. If the terrain is vertical then normal ice climbimg technique is used.
Glaciers Crevasses : These ( deep slits or chasms) are a g reat danger while walking on Glaciers. These giant cracks are not always avialable as the snow can be blown and makes the difference impossible for the ametures to decide.For this Crampons and Ice Axes are used. The team of two to five climbers tie themselves into a rope equally spaced.
Places For Camping India
Gulmarg, K2 , Mount Everest, Himalayas, are some of the places which are best known as Mountaineering grounds in India. Here is a list of the popular mountaineering places India
- Leh – Upshi – Chumathang Sikkim
- Mount Everest
- Kanchanzonga or K2
- Nanda Devi
- Zanzkar Vally Jammu and Kashmir
- Lahaul in Himachal Pradesh
- Darjeeling in Himachal Pradesh
- Karakoram Ranges
- Garhwal Himalayas
- Gulmarg J& K
- The Himalayas
- Num and Kun Jammu & Kashmir
What To Take
There are certain dangers while mountaineering which one should remember –
- Whatever you carry , the basic idea is – the lighter the better, be it your knife or your boots.
- There are vey less chances that you will get to bathe in the entire expedition, so carry the smallest soap in the market.Shampoo, sachet. Toothpaste, sachet.
- Pack your clothes as per the events and not by the type. ITS NOT GOING TO BE A PARTY OUT THERE, so get to the lightest and the warmest here.
- Take the instant food as much as possible. Get Margarine oil instead of Cooking oil. Eveything frozes on the top of the hill except the Margarine.